12/13/2011

THE WEDDING PRESENT- GEORGE BEST

A definite love 'em or hate 'em band. I've never really understood the amount of hatred/indifference towards this band since their biggest fan was none other than legendary taste-maker and all around A+ music fan John Peel. Lover of snob-boner bands such as The Fall, Pavement, Joy Division, etc. I mean, come on! it's just indie pop. Blindingly fast, pounding drums, constantly strummed guitars and Dave Gedge singing as best as his awful voice will allow!

On paper that sure doesn't sound all that compelling... but it is! It ends up sounding like some weird collision of C-86 and what would become pop-punk... Doesn't seem to matter to anyone though. This band will always be 'boring' or 'overrated' and I guess I'm OK with that. Maybe they're too British? Maybe the songs sound are all the same, but not like The Ramones so it's not cool? I guess I just think this band is a lot more deserving of the status bestowed upon some of the more overrated bands of this era (looking at you Jesus and Mary Chain). This has been a shitty post

No comments:

Post a Comment