10/23/2011

SHOPPERS- SILVER YEAR

ugh. Fuck school. This is the debut from Shoppers and amidst the sea of shit we call music these days, this band does something both new and good. It's very hard to describe using comparisons, so I won't. Essentially, this is very loud and very noisy but underneath the volume and static are these really driving and simple punk songs. Ok, so maybe that description immediately makes you think of Japanese hardcore and you're thinking "uh, this isn't new and original at all then..." but believe me, I say 'punk' songs because that's the only way to describe the structure and melodic approach. This sounds different than whatever my description may conjure. Maybe it's the intentional layers of static, maybe it's the female vocals, maybe it's some sort of cosmic force... only Shoppers know!!!

This record is the best one I've heard all year and unfortunately, no one seems to give a shit about it. I can't find it anywhere other than online so I'll have to buy it that way and you should too but if you're poor and would buy it if you could afford it, then here it is for free but please! support this band. Music this good no longer grows on trees

2 comments:

  1. unfortunately these guys broke up. such good syracuse hardcore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :(

    I was worried since there didn't seem to be any word about a new release. Glad I got to witness them at least once!

    ReplyDelete