11/27/2011

THE GOSLINGS- GRANDEUR OF HAIR

Today I went to my city's urban-center to buy some books my folks wanted for christmas. Aside from scoring a copy of Daniel Johnston's art-book for twenty bucks as well as the stuff I was looking for, it was pure hell. Masses of people all shuffling around, no one smiling, people shoving into other people while saying "excuse me" under their breath and not bothering to make eye contact, eyeing that bluray Friends boxset they can't wait to get their greasy little mitts on (sorry Grace!)... this time of year really does suck.

In a rare and unfortunate occurrence, I had no tunes to drown out the frenzy of "should I get an I-phone or a blackberry" but I kept thinking of this album for some reason. Maybe because it's some of the ugliest, sludgiest, creepo doom/drone I've ever heard and the thought of it blasting over some loudspeaker, thus making everyone in the store feel like jumping off of a bridge was very satisfying to me... ahhh the holidays. Anyway, The Goslings are from Florida, record all of their albums on cassette and never tour... sounds kinda douchey and hey, maybe they are but when the music is this perfect, I could care less. Imagine a not boring, more psychedelic Sunn O))) and you'll have a pretty good idea of what you're getting into.


3 comments:

  1. thanks for the link. why did you say they're douchebags?

    ReplyDelete
  2. just the whole exclusivity/making releases hard to come by and only recording to cassette. I understand it's an aesthetic choice in some sense but I also think bands that can justify the money it costs to more properly distribute work, should do so. Who knows, maybe they're way less popular than I imagine

    ReplyDelete
  3. nah they released a whole bunch of CDs. i think they only had one release that was on cassette

    ReplyDelete