2/21/2012

MODEST MOUSE DOCUMENTARY '97


If you remember Modest Mouse as an amazingly-promising indie-ROCK band and not the major-label snooze-fest they became, then this is the documentary for you! We can talk all day about this band being a prime example of selling out (because yes, they are!) OR we can remember them for what they were, one of the best bands making music from 94-99.

This documentary follows Isaac around during the recording of The Lonesome Crowded West LP and it's about as candid as you can get. Eating subway in the studio, walking around Olympia, going to a corner store to carefully select a good forty and driving around in the band's van just shooting the breeze. Aside from that you get interviews with Elliott Smith, Doug Martsch and Calvin Johnson (who was producing the aforementioned  LP at Dub Narcotic!) A great snapshot of a band and songwriter at the peak of their creative powers.

HERE

6 comments:

  1. jesus christ, I'm so fucking tired of hearing that they "sold out".

    if you were a true fan you'd like everything they've put out and see that Isaac's lyrics are still just as genius, if not even more genius.

    bands evolve, get over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. re-posted the link. To be honest, I don't care about the lyrical content in terms of selling out because lyrics are meaningless in terms of moving units or alternately restoring my faith. Their post LCW albums and songs are mindless, garden-state-fan-pandering "indie" rock that has more in common with coldplay than pavement

      Delete
    2. you have your opinion and I have mine, I have no interest in getting into an argument over the internet, especially on this topic because I hate hearing/seeing the 'old V.S. new' argument and I have yet to see one reach an intelligent conclusion.

      I found the link elsewhere but thanks anyways, the documentary was awesome and I plan on watching it many more times.

      Delete
    3. "intelligent conclusion"??? fuck you and your bullshit. Guess what? this is a blog and just because I happen to feel that Modest Mouse have turned into a band of artistically soulless turds and you don't has nothing to do with "intelligent" conclusions and more to do with your decision to vent the fact that you feel inadequate enough with your presumably shitty ass life that some nobody and his blog disagreeing with you is enough to make you decide " I need to let this stranger know he's wrong. yes, that's what I need to do"

      and don't try to give me any passive "way to make this a big deal" bullshit because I'm not the one who came to your opinion-based website and attempted to knock the proverbial dick out of your mouth. Clearly If YOU were a "true fan" of music(let alone just one band) you would value opinions and tastes that differ from your own and attempt to understand them instead of belittling the person expressing them. How about next time you be chill about it and maybe just ask me why I don't like their new stuff? or simply say you like the new stuff and move on? I know it says "comment even if you hate it" but you have to be A) dense and B) a dick, to go on shitty blogs and bait the people writing the posts...

      and since I hate debating things with angry, internet peons (since the debates never reach an intelligent conclusion)... oh wait?

      Delete
    4. smoke a bowl and chill the fuck out, dude.

      Delete
  2. also, that link's a dead end. sorry for the double post.

    ReplyDelete